This week I’ve tried out a quick and easy way to jazz up your bun in under ten minutes! All you’ll need is a hair band, a mini-clear elastic, and bobby pins!
The Fishtail Topknot
1. Gather your hair into a high pony. Separate it into two sections.
2. Alternate taking small sections of hair from the left to the right side, and vice-versa. If you’re unsure how to do a fishtail braid here’s a great video from the Beauty Department.
3. Once you’ve completed the braid, tie it off with a clear mini-elastic about two inches form the end.
4. Tug on each side of the braid to make it an even thickness throughout. Since your braid will narrow near the end this helps make the braid full so your bun looks balanced.
5. Wrap the braid around the base of the elastic. Since I’m left handed and braided my hair to the right side, I then wrapped it clockwise around the base. Secure the bottom half of the braid with lots of bobby pins all the way around, and tuck the remaining part of the hair inside the bun. Tug on the sections of the fishtail to create a bigger, more voluminous bun. Spritz with hairspray and you’re good to go!
Using the same steps as with the fishtail braid, you can try a number of different looks with different braids.
What’s your favorite braid style?? Let me know in the comments below!